Thursday, October 30, 2008

Journey to a Half Marathon

I have not posted in a while because I am trying to find a voice for this blog and decided to share my running journey.

On November 9, 2008, I will run in my first half marathon called the Fauquier Half Marathon. I have been running 5Ks as speed work this fall to get ready. I have run between 20:30 - 20:55 until a couple of weeks ago. I was in Cincy for a conference and there was a 5K a couple of blocks from the hotel. Well, I ran this one in 18:26 which blew me away. I have been worried in the past about taking it out too fast. My splits were 5:50, 6:05, and 5:59. This put me in the top 20 in Virginia for my age group according to active.com.

My training has been up and down to get ready for the half. This summer I was following a program given to me by the running club coach. This program was brutal for me. I was running hard T, Th, and a long run on Saturday. I think that caught up to me about a month ago and stepped back to using a modified Maffetone method and have been feeling great ever since. I am actually faster and feel ready for each run.

Ultimately, I will be sharing some of my training and eating habits in this blog.

No comments: